Switching between Microsoft Outlook and Google Gmail is a common trend these days. Some people migrate from a desktop-oriented Outlook application to a cloud-based Gmail, while others use different email clients for their personal and business communications. If you already have a bunch of contacts in one email app, you definitely don’t want to recreate them one by one in the other app. Fortunately, both Outlook and Gmail allow you to transfer all your contacts at once. It’s not a one-click operation, but we’ll walk you through all the steps comfortably.
To transfer contacts from Google to Outlook, first export your Gmail contacts to a CSV file and then import that file into Microsoft Outlook.
Part 1: Export Gmail contacts
1. Go to your Google contacts.
2. On the left under Contacts, click Export.
3. In the Export Contacts window that appears, select Outlook CSV and click Export. This is the main step that copies your Google contacts to a .csv file in the format required by Outlook, so no further customization is required.
4. Depending on your browser, you will be prompted to open the file in Excel or simply view the downloaded Contacts.csv file on the page button. After opening the file, review the information, make changes if necessary (but don’t change the column headings!), then save the CSV file to any folder on your PC or cloud storage.
Part 2: Import Gmail contacts into Outlook
Follow these steps to import your contacts from Google to Outlook:
1. In Microsoft Outlook, click File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
2. In the first step of the import and export wizard, choose Import from another program or file and click
3. Choose Comma Separated Values and click Next.
4. Click the Browse button and select the CSV file you exported from Gmail. Then choose how to deal with potential duplicate contacts (the screenshot below shows the default option) and click Next.
5. In the account to which you want to import the Gmail contacts, select the Contacts folder and click Next.
6. Click Finish.
Outlook will immediately start importing your Google contacts. When the progress window disappears, the import is complete. To view imported contacts, click the People icon in the navigation bar.