Not only this, but it is also necessary to plan the layout of your computer or laptop to move Outlook to a new computer.
This is the common habit that every user should learn “How to transfer emails from Outlook to another computer?“.
The article explains the step-by-step process to migrate Outlook to a new computer (OST, PST). The whole procedure is divided into several sections to make it easier for users to perform the task without losing items in the mailbox. At the end, it also mentions the solution to transfer the OST files from one computer to another.
Before you can transfer your Outlook data/emails, you need to know the location of your available data on your old workstation. Outlook stores all your data in one file, with a .pst extension. It is probably Outlook.pst. But the question is where is it?
In Microsoft Outlook, it is very easy to find the Outlook ost file location and Outlook .pst file location.
All you have to do is ~
Click the File tab again >> Information >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
Once there, a pop-up window with the account settings will appear, click on the Data Files button. You will find the information you need in the resulting dialog box.
How to Import and export outlook data
In short, transferring Outlook to new computer which means exporting all your data including email, contacts and other Microsoft Outlook data from your existing computer and importing all related data to another computer is very easy to understand.
Here is step by step guide:
By exporting all your data create [.ost / .pst] file from Outlook email], you can easily transport the files via email or hard drive to your new computer where you can send all kinds of emails import.
From the above guide [describing how to export emails from Outlook] you will get all your data on your flash drive, now the question is:
How to Import old emails from outlook?
Importing PST files to Outlook is similar to exporting the files if you have reinstalled Outlook on your existing computer or formatted the existing computer’s hard drive or if you are in the final stages of transferring email. emails from Outlook.
Insert your pendrive into the USB port of the system that contains the Outlook email account file [.os / .pst].
Follow these simple steps to migrating Outlook pst/ost data:
- Step 1: Click File Tab >> Open & Export >> Import/Export
- Step 2: The same dialog box will open (Import and Export Wizard)
- Step 3: The third step is to import your file: select Import from another program or file and then select Microsoft Outlook Data File (.pst).
- Step 4: Click Next
- The next page of the wizard prompts you to load the file you saved on your current computer [in my case, I keep it on a pendrive].
- Select the Outlook data file (.pst) and click Next.
- Click Browse and select the file you want to import.
When you click Finish, the wizard disappears and the import begins. Moving an Outlook PST file from one computer to another is as simple as that.
Why should you move PST File from One Computer to Other?
As we discussed above, when you need to restore or change your computer due to various reasons like hardware failure, unexpected data loss, etc.
In some scenario, you need to move your Outlook data files from existing computers to a new location or computer to keep your valuable data safe.
How to move Outlook files to another computer
As you learned before, just copy the .pst files from existing location on your computer system, there is another way to import to your new computer or existing computer after formatting/rebooting.
Here’s another way to get the files from your current system:
This method is a bit tricky, but it solves the problem that many of you ask, “How do I copy PST files in Outlook?”
Most of the necessary files are kept hidden in the Windows system folder. You need to find them and copy and import them into your system.
Here is the step by step guide:
- Step 1: First, open any file explorer window and click View
- Step 2: Check the box next to File name extensions and hidden items. (Listed in the red box in the image).
This will allow you to recover all hidden data in the folder.
- Before starting this process, it is mandatory to close Outlook completely to be fully up to date.
- Go to USER /%YOUR USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
- Step 3: You can view multiple files in .pst and .ost format, you just need to copy the file with extension .pst.
In the next step, you will learn how to import the copied files into Outlook.
- Step 4: Open Outlook and go to File >> Rules and Alerts
- Step 5: In the Alerts and Rules dialog box that appears, click Options >> Export Rules.
- You can upload the files that were already on your external storage device. This is one of the best ways to transfer Outlook files to a new computer.