It is possible to send mass emails in Outlook, but not without limitations. Learn how to do this and learn why using an email marketing service is the most cost-effective option.
Bulk email refers to sending a single email message to a large number of contacts.
While we highly recommend using targeting techniques to generate personalized messages, you may occasionally need to send a bulk email.
If you are wondering how to use Outlook for mass emails, this is one possible method.
Send mass email with Outlook in 6 easy steps
Outlook allows you to send bulk emails to your contacts using Microsoft Word. Just follow these steps:
1. Open Word and write your email
2. In Word, open the Correspondence ribbon.
3. Click the Start Mail Merge menu and then Email Messages from the drop-down menu.
4. Click Select Recipients and choose from three options:
(1) Write a new list in which you manually enter the contact details in a new dialog box,
(2) Use an existing list to select a .csv file (Excel) on your computer. The .csv file should have been pre-prepared with data arranged in three columns (first name, last name, email address)
(3) Choose from Outlook Contacts. Manually select addresses from your existing Outlook contacts
5. After you have selected the recipients, click Finish & Merge, and then click Send Emails.
6. In the Merge to E-mail pop-up window, type the subject of the e-mail, and then click OK.
Easy right? Now let’s talk about the disadvantages of sending bulk email campaigns with Outlook.
Why you shouldn’t send mass emails in Outlook
Unlike dedicated email marketing services, Outlook isn’t designed for sending mass emails. Use it for this purpose and you’ll be quickly frustrated by the following factors:
- A daily email limit: Like most Internet Service Providers (ISPs), Outlook limits the number of emails you can send per day to 300
- Absence of email design features such as email templates and coding resources
- No reporting or analytics features to see how campaigns perform
- Mass emails sent from an ISP (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) are often flagged as spam by both other ISPs and email recipients. Because webmail is designed for personal use, this activity is considered suspicious.
- Higher chances of your mail server IP address getting put on a blacklist which means it’ll be rejected by all other servers
Why it’s better to send mass emails with an email marketing service
Email marketing remains the most profitable marketing channel, with an ROI of $32 for every $1 spent. To take advantage of that kind of ROI, you should invest in a dedicated email marketing service like Sendinblue, because Outlook alone is not enough.
There are many such providers on the market that offer a range of different features at different prices. Check out this list of the best email marketing services to find the best one for you.
Here are some examples of things you can do with Sendinblue that you just can’t do with Outlook.
Avoid email blacklists
Sendinblue works to protect senders’ reputations and ensure that customers avoid being blacklisted.
New accounts go through strict validation processes to ensure optimal security and deliverability for everyone using Sendinblue’s shared IP addresses.
A shared IP address is an address that is shared by multiple users. It’s a cheaper option for businesses sending small amounts of email, but the risk is that it only takes one user to compromise the sender reputation of one IP for all. You will have peace of mind knowing that Sendinblue works hard to protect your shared IP addresses (which is not the case for all email marketing services).
For companies with large email lists, Sendinblue provides a dedicated IP address that provides full control over the sender’s reputation.
Take the stress out of GDPR compliance
Navigating the GDPR (an EU law that dictates how personal data may be collected and used) the first time can be confusing. How can you be sure that your email and list building practices are legal?
Sendinblue has data privacy and security features to ensure that its subscribers’ data is collected and used in a respectful manner.
Sendinblue includes an option to unsubscribe in all emails and only allows you to upload unsubscribe contacts (those who have given you permission to be contacted by email). To obtain this permission, you can create custom email subscription forms.
Basically, the platform is configured in such a way that GDPR compliance becomes the standard. This way, you can focus on growing your business with the assurance that your subscribers’ data is legally managed.
Create professional looking emails that match your brand
We know how difficult it can be to design emails from scratch without the necessary skills in graphic design, HTML or CSS.
One of the main benefits of an email marketing service is that it provides the tools to quickly create beautifully designed, mobile-optimized emails.
Sendinblue gives you access to a library of email templates, as well as our drag-and-drop email design tool that makes creating responsive emails a breeze.
Having clear, well-designed emails that reflect your brand will grab readers’ attention and increase conversions.
Save time on list management
Manually adding new subscribers and removing those who have requested to be removed from your list can take a LOT of time.
Keeping track of email contacts is easy with Sendinblue. Subscribers are automatically removed from lists as subscriptions are added.
You can also set up marketing automation workflows that move contacts to specific lists once they meet specific conditions.